Lexus extends its GS line-up
Lexus expands the GS line-up including a new GS 200t model and enhances the design of the line-up. The Lexus GS continues to feature impressive agility and sporty handling, as well as comfortable ride quality for extended highway driving. This is no modest mid-size luxury sedan. Its engaging performance and amenities make the GS an excellent choice for delighting drivers as well as luxury connoisseurs whether they are piloting the new GS 200t, the GS 350, GS 450h or GS 300h.
The Lexus GS epitomizes the intersection of style and refinement with a strong rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille, framed by elegant satin chrome trim and flanked by distinctive new standard Bi-LED headlights.
A new front bumper and rocker panel design further sharpen the coupe-inspired profile, with the makeover extending to revised taillights, revised rear trim and new 18- and 19-inch machine-finish wheel designs.
In the interior, the analogue clock located in the centre of the dash is housed in a single ingot of aluminium and uses LED indicators. It adds GPS functionality for adjusting the time zone.
New Power and Efficiency
A new, fourth model, the rear-wheel drive GS 200t, joins the line with an exceptionally smooth 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine teamed with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The turbo engine delivers 245PS and 350Nm of torque, giving the GS 200t outstanding all-around performance and efficiency. The GS 200t has a Lexus fuel economy estimate of 7.9litre.
In the GS 350, a more muscular 3.5-liter V6 produces 317PS and 380Nm of torque and is also paired with the eight-speed automatic transmission. The V6’s combination of direct fuel injection and additional port fuel injectors ensure ample power and crisp responsiveness.
Leading the GS line-up is a car you’d expect from the luxury hybrid leader, the GS 450h – a high-performing hybrid. Its Lexus Hybrid Drive system combines output from an Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6 engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 345PS total system, channelled through a planetary-type continuously variable transmission. Few might expect 5.9-second (0-100km/h) acceleration performance from a car with 5.9litre fuel economy ratings.
The second hybrid model in the line-up, the GS 300h, a dynamic sports sedan, equipped with a fuel efficient 2,5litre L4 engine consuming just 4.7l/100km.
Both hybrid models, GS 450h and GS 300h, are available in all markets in Europe. The GS 200t will be available in selected European markets. The GS 350 is available in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Caucasus.
More Grip, More Grins
For added grip, the Lexus GS 350 offers an available all-weather drive system that’s more than a foul-weather friend. An electronically controlled centre differential provides a normal 30:70 torque split, with the rear-wheel bias favouring handling agility. The system reacts instantaneously to alter the split to as much as 50:50, depending on driving conditions, to help optimize traction.
For added grins when driving, the F SPORT package available for all four GS models combines track-tuned chassis enhancements, including staggered tyre sizes (RWD only), with exclusive exterior and interior design features. For better ride comfort and handling stability the F SPORT package includes also the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS).
New Lexus Safety System +
The 2016 Lexus GS is a rolling testament to the brand’s commitment to cutting-edge safety technology. Its structure and 10 standard airbags form the foundation for occupant protection, while a wide array of driver-assist technologies help the driver to avoid hazards. New and optional is Lexus Safety System + which combines Pre-Crash System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Keep Assist (LKA), Adaptive High beam System (AHS) and All-Speed Active Cruise Control.
All-Speed Active Cruise Control works at a range of speeds. It tracks the speed of the vehicle traveling ahead and can adjust the speed setting accordingly to help maintain a preset distance. It’s sophisticated enough to smoothly adjust acceleration and deceleration when a vehicle enters or exits the lane or highway ahead.
Using a combination of millimetre-wave radar and a front-facing camera, PCS can help detect vehicles -- and in some circumstances, pedestrians. The system can warn the driver of a possible collision and can initiate automatic braking with Brake Assist if necessary.
Using a camera to detect visible lane markings, Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is designed to convey audio-visual alerts and vibrate the steering wheel if the systems determine that the driver unintentionally deviated from the lane. It also assists the driver steering the car back to the middle of the lane.
Adaptive High-beam System (AHS) combines technology, safety and driving courtesy. It automatically shades part of the light beam with shutters to avoid blinding drivers ahead.
The GS models equipped with new multimedia in 2015, and now the available 12.3-inch screen gains full-screen map capability when equipped with navigation. Other multimedia changes include enhanced voice recognition and graphics. You can still split the screen into two sections to show different functions, such as navigation, audio and climate control information.
New side “enter” buttons on the Remote Touch Interface controller and shortcut menu on the side of the screen make it even easier to use to operate climate control, audio, phone, navigation and more.
New on GS:
- New GS 200t model 245PS, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and with eight-speed automatic transmission.
- More power for GS 350 – now 317PS and 380Nm torque from 3.5-litre V6.
- Re-designed front end with bolder Lexus spindle grille and Bi-LED headlights, and revised tail lamps and rear bumper treatments.
- Lexus Safety System + combines Pre-Crash System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Keep Assist (LKA), Adaptive High-beam System (AHS) and All-Speed Active Cruise Control.
- Larger 4.2-inch multi-information display puts vital vehicle data at a quick glance in driver’s line of sight.
- Upgraded multimedia technology: side “enter” buttons on Remote Touch Interface (RTI) and full screen map capability for available navigation with 12.3-inch central display screen.
- New exterior and interior colours, wheel designs and interior wood and aluminum trim selections.
- Analogue clock adds GPS time zone functionality.
- GS 200t: 245PS, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- GS 350: 317PS, 3.5-liter DOHC V6 with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- GS 450h: Lexus Hybrid Drive system combining output from an Atkinson cycle 3.5litre V6 petrol engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 345PS total system.
- GS 300h: Lexus Hybrid Drive system combining output from an Atkinson cycle 2.5litre petrol engine and water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for a fuel consumption of only 4.7litre
- GS 200t and GS 350: eight-speed sequential shift automatic transmission with paddle shifters
- GS 450h and GS 300h: planetary-type electronically controlled continuously variable transmission with two-speed reduction (for “kick-down” functionality), Snow mode and paddle shifters.
- Front and rear aluminium control arms help reduce unsprung weight and endow the GS with exemplary agility, sway damping, ride comfort, body control and steering precision.
- Ventilated disc brakes feature four-piston aluminium front callipers and are equipped with the latest electronic enhancements to help provide braking balance and control.
- Standard 17-inch nine-spoke alloy wheels with 235/50R17 tyres for GS 200t, and optional 18 and 19 -inch alloy wheels with 235/45R18 and235/45R19 tyres.
- Available GS F SPORT is exclusively equipped with 19-inch staggered width wheels paired with 235/40R19 front and 265/35R19 rear summer compound tyres.
- Standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems -- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) -- with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited-slip differential effect.
- The GS is standard-equipped with 10 airbags, including a knee airbag for both, driver and front passenger, seat-mounted side airbags for outboard rear seats, and side curtain airbags.
- Whiplash Injury Lessening front seats reduce the space between the occupant’s head and headrest to help limit excessive head movement, and help decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries, in certain types of rear end collisions.
- The optional Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) helps detect vehicles in side blind spots and alert the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.
- The available 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system has 7.1 channel surround-sound through 10 channels using a class D Digital amplifier with a clean 835-watts from 20-20,000 hz at only 0.01 percent total harmonic distortion. Clari-Fi technology analyses compression in the signal of digital tracks (CD, iPod, etc.) and determines how much amplification is needed, and where, to correct it.